About Pilates-Based Physical Therapy
Pilates-Based Physical Therapy (PBPT) at Advantage PT is an approach to healing grounded in the moving body. We assess and treat the whole person - not just an injury or symptom - through Pilates exercises and traditional physical therapy methods. At Advantage PT, we are particularly adept at identifying and correcting problematic postural and movement patterns that can cause you pain. We believe that you can feel better when you move better.
PBPT encourages you to take an active role in your recovery. You'll be asked to learn and engage in new ways of moving, of listening to your body, and of taking care of yourself. As an active participant, your benefits will be maximized and your healing time shortened. As you learn to listen to your body more attentively, future injury can also be prevented. We will teach you the skills you need to maintain your gains once treatment has ended. If you are interested, we can also help you incorporate Pilates classes and/or individualized Pilates lessons into your everyday, post-treatment life. Our clients have successfully used PBPT to treat:
· Acute and chronic low back pain
· Overuse injuries
· Headaches and neck pain
· Repetitive stress disorders
· Foot and ankle pain
· Postural issues
· Pelvic and spinal instability
· Shoulder pain
· Women's health issues
· Orthopedic injuries
· Neurological and balance disorders
Today's spring-loaded Pilates equipment has evolved over the decades to facilitate recovery from a variety of different injuries and coordination difficulties. Spring tension gives the body proprioceptive feedback, which in turn stimulates the gravity orientation (or postural) system. Effective and appropriate stabilization and sequencing can then be trained so that these new skills are easily integrated into your daily life. Many Pilates exercises are performed lying down on the equipment which can facilitate a gentle progression from non-weight-bearing to full weight-bearing activities. When you have success with movement and a positive movement experience, you can shift the perception that movement causes pain.
Pilates equipment is versatile, allowing for many different body types, sizes, and conditions to be comfortably accommodated. At Advantage PT, we use The Pilates Reformer and associated components.
Q: How is PBPT different from other forms of physical therapy?
A: PBPT at Advantage PT is founded on the idea that a small, patient-centered, movement-oriented approach to physical therapy can offer patients an unrivaled possibility for healing. PBPT is grounded in the therapeutic movements and techniques of classical Pilates as well as traditional physical therapy modalities.
If you have ever experienced traditional physical therapy, you will notice immediately that things are very different at Advantage PT:
· You will always be seen by one primary therapist for the full course of your treatment.
· The time of treatment is agreed upon by the therapist and patient and varies from 30-90 minutes of one-on-one care.
· Most therapeutic exercises are performed on our Pilates equipment.
· Our rehabilitation exercise programs are individualized to your specific interests and needs.
· We give you the time and attention you need in order to assure specific muscle groups are being used correctly and in proper sequence in order to prevent potentially harmful movement patterns.
· You will become an active participant in your care through education about maintenance and injury prevention, allowing you to gain maximum benefit from physical therapy and giving you the ability to maintain strength and flexibility long after therapy ends.
We know that in this managed healthcare environment, time and money are both limited. At Advantage PT, we spend the quality time necessary to treat our patients effectively and efficiently. We will take the time to listen to you and assess your condition accurately. Then, we will create and personally guide you through an individualized, multi-disciplinary treatment plan that is interesting, challenging, efficient, and effective.
We understand you have many options for your rehabilitation, but we believe you will find the quality of care and level of personal attention provided at Advantage PT to be unsurpassed.